Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Recessed sewing table


Not my idea, nor my plans, but I couldn't be any more thrilled with the result! The table will be finished in the spring with a multi-layer stain/paint/distressing effect, when things warm up. A little too cold for stains/paints right now. In the meantime, I'll use it as is, and love it all the while!



The hole drill got a little warm!



The jigsaw took care of the straight edges.




A router to add a rounded edge to the opening, and give it a more polished look.


Now for the supports on the underside.



The supports viewed from the top.


And in place...sewing machine now recessed!


The plans can be found here. There were no measurements, as every table is different, as is every sewing machine. What tips can I offer? Make sure you leave plenty of room for your plug ins to the right of your machine. And measure, measure, measure. It was very straight forward, and something anyone could do with the right tools. I have lost quick access to the front storage box on the machine base, but it was an easy sacrifice to make for the benefit of a recessed machine.

Have I said how much I love my new table?

I would suggest scouring Craigslist for used craft/dining tables. That's what I did, and I found my table for $70, and it's good size at 36" x 52". It came with a full length bench, as well. Just make sure you get one that's solid wood.

With my fabric shelf in place, my craft room is really taking shape. Much more to come, but to say I'm thrilled so far, would be an understatement. A pink chandelier is calling my name for the room, too.  Hum...

4 comments:

  1. I just got around to looking at the comments you left on my plan! This Looks great! Mind if I link to the page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link was getting a little lost in text at the bottom, so I added your table's picture to the tutorial page as well (also linked to here). Let me know if you'd rather I take that down.

      -Cassie

      Delete
    2. I can't see the link to your page. If you will provide that, I will take a look. Thanks for asking!

      Delete