Saturday, January 12, 2013

French onion soup

Prior to today, I had never made French onion soup, and I had never had it, either.  I didn't know what all the fuss was about.  I can now say I completely understand the fuss.


What a richly flavored, beautiful soup, with a subtly sweet broth, and beautiful texture.  I'm so impressed with it, I'm sorry I let 48 years slip by without trying it.

I did not come up with this recipe.  It's on page 230 of Chad Robertson's beautiful Tartine Bread cookbook.  I've referenced this book a lot lately.  It's so beautifully written, like a great story, populated with gorgeous photographs, and, at least with those I've tried thus far, very special recipes.

This one is no exception.



I can't publish the recipe, because it's not mine, and I don't have permission to do so.  If I did, I certainly would.  This soup is so good, I'm tempted to say it's worth the cost of the cookbook to get the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment