Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Lemon pistachio biscotti

 

I can't claim this one as my own, though I sure wish I could.  If you are a biscotti lover, and have even a passing interest in lemon and pistachio flavors, I encourage you to try this one.  Because we are preparing for a road trip, and I like to have things in the car we can eat, without spending money, and without feeling we are skimping, I usually make a few things to take with us.  I made fried chicken party wings this morning, and now the lemon pistachio biscotti.  This is a first for me with this recipe, and I'm so glad I tried it.  Beautiful, and delicious.

It appears that it's been re-published several times, and referred to as "Starbuck's Lemon Tipped Biscotti", but I will avoid being another re-publisher, and just share the link with you here.  I followed the recipe, with one change to the icing, and it turned out beautifully.

When I made the icing, I found it was far too runny to stick to the biscotti and exceedingly tart, so I doubled the powdered sugar.  Seeing the finished product, I would absolutely do it again.

If you over cook biscotti, it doesn't really hurt it, unless you get past 'over baked' and into 'charred'!  With biscotti, the goal is a harder, dry cookie, and that lends itself well to imperfect baking times.

Once the dough comes together, it's really just a couple more steps.

 

Once rolled and on the baking sheet, a light press with your fingers is all you need.

 

I bake mine on parchment paper, as it allows me to easily remove each of the biscuits prior to cutting, and transfer them to my cutting board for the slicing step.  You can see my finger imprint from pressing down the logs.  Not a big deal.  It doesn't need to be perfect.

 

I slice at an angle, because it adds some visual interest, but that's purely a personal preference.  I once heard it said that we eat first with our eyes, so to me, the way something looks either welcomes us in, or turns us away.  Cut them as thin or as thick as you like, and straight or at an angle.

Before they are done, you have to bake them, cut sides up, for a few more minutes.

 

I usually bake my biscotti at about 375 degrees, and for about 25 minutes on the first bake.  After slicing, I bake them another 8-9 minutes on each side.  After cooling, this one can either be dipped into the glaze, or drizzled on top.  The recipe suggested dipping each end of the biscotti, and that is what I did.

 

Enjoy this one.  I suspect it could be a favorite of a few of you.  It sure has made my favorite list.

No comments:

Post a Comment