Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sweet cream blueberry pancakes

A few years ago I ordered a dish in a local restaurant - sweet cream pancakes.  They were delightful.  They were sweet, creamy and had great texture.  The recipe, I would learn, was a closely guarded secret.  Not long after, I forgot about it.

Last spring I remembered those pancakes, and started the search for a recipe.  Unfortunately for me, all I found was a link to the restaurant that wouldn't provide the recipe to me, in the first place.  Hum...perhaps it was time to develop my own.  After about 3 attempts, I came up with something that had the same creamy sweetness, but had a hearty taste and texture, as well.  I actually liked my recipe better.  I made them again this morning, and thought I would share the recipe with you.


Ingredients:

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup frozen blueberries

Directions:

Pre-heat an electric griddle to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients.


In a separate, small bowl, combine milk, sour cream, eggs and melted butter, and whisk until smooth.

Make a well in your dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients.  Whisk until smooth.


Add frozen blueberries, and gently fold until just distributed throughout the batter.  I use frozen so the juice of the berries doesn't bleed into the batter, making it blue.


Using a 1/4 cup measure, drop batter onto your pre-heated griddle.


When pancakes begin to bubble, and the edges appear dry, carefully turn them with a spatula.


Serve warm, with butter and warm maple syrup.

Note:  This batter will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days, but if you do that, I would suggest adding the frozen blueberries to the batter as you make the pancakes vs. allowing them to thaw in the batter, as you keep it for later use.  Thawed blueberries will turn the batter blue, and while it won't affect the taste, it will affect the consistency and texture of the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment