Saturday, February 25, 2012

Brussel sprout pesto

Today I woke up determined to create something special.  My husband, who is the best human being I know, loves brussel sprouts.  In every way, he and I are a perfect match...except when it comes to his love of those miniature cabbage-looking, dirty sock smelling things.  I hate them.  I have always hated them.  I have been told that such and such a dish will get me over my distaste of them.  Until this morning, I can say I have never tasted a brussel sprout dish I wanted to be-friend.

 

Well, enter my idea of a brussel sprout pesto.  I have never seen one, nor heard of one, and while I'm sure a Google search would turn up a recipe, or two, I can tell you this one is all my own.  I encourage you to try it.  It's truly delicious, and this coming from a former brussel sprout hater.

Ingredients:

12 brussel sprouts
1/4 cup oregano leaves
1/4 cup roasted almonds
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmigiano reggiano
3 cloves garlic
Kosher salt (to taste)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup olive oil

Directions:

Cut brussel sprouts in half and trim off the end.

 

To the bowl of your food processor, add brussel sprout halves, oregano leaves, almonds, the cheeses, garlic, salt and pepper.

 

Process until you have a fine mince.

 

Add olive oil and process until well blended.

Serve with crackers, chips, add as a condiment to a sandwich, or toss with fresh cooked pasta (adding a bit of pasta water to bring it all together).

No comments:

Post a Comment